Re: Rules and Command Status - update/insert/delete rule with series of commands in action

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com" <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Rules and Command Status - update/insert/delete rule with series of commands in action
Date: 2024-05-31 01:34:07
Lists: pgsql-general

"johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com" <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> But I suppose that my next question,   given what you both say about the
> RULE system being a dead-end,  is whether there is any likelihood of
> supporting an INSTEAD OF trigger on a view at statement level?   Maybe
> that stands more chance of going somewhere?

Perhaps, but I don't know of anyone working on it.

IIRC, the row-level-only restriction dates from before we had
implemented transition tables, so that at the time there was
nothing very meaningful that a statement-level trigger could do.
Maybe that problem has gone away, though I've not thought
about it very hard.