Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Aly S(dot)P Dharshi" <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date: 2005-10-13 18:33:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 13:09, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>The problem, as explained to me when I floated this idea, is that the
>CATALOGS are all in lower case, and many references to them are behind
>the case folding mechanism (i.e. they get accessed by their lower case
>names directly by backend software).
>
>So, one would also have to have some way of working around that.

So basically, the problem is that any fix for case folding would touch a
fair bit of code and possibly cause other problems. However, I haven't
seen anyone worry about performance issues in such a fix, just that it
might be a fair bit of work.

However, if it is not on the TODO list already, it seems that it should
be there as it really is necessary for standards-compliance.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting