Re: Updating cidr column with network operator

From: Daryl Richter <daryl(at)brandywine(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updating cidr column with network operator
Date: 2005-09-22 14:45:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Axel Rau wrote:
> Hi SQLers,
>
> I have a fk from address to network and try to update the foreign key
> column to point at the network, "it belongs to":
>
> CREATE TABLE network (
> id cidr PRIMARY KEY , -- 'PK, ,IPv4/6 Network address'
> )
>
> CREATE TABLE address (
> id inet PRIMARY KEY , -- 'PK of IPv4/6 host address'
> network cidr NOT NULL -- 'FK to Network table'
> REFERENCES network ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE
> CASCADE
> )
>
> I tried (using the WHERE clause to eliminate the addresses were no
> corresponding net exists):

But you can't insert a row in address w/o a valid network.id? That's
what the fk ensures.

Perhaps you could elaborate more? Are you trying to *put* on the fk and
you currently have bad data?

> UPDATE address
> SET network = (SELECT N.id WHERE A.id << N.id)
> FROM address A, network N
> WHERE A.id << N.id;

This also makes no sense. For starters, << is "bitwise shift left" ...

--
Daryl

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns, will not be discouraged."
-- Colonel Henry Knox, 1776