Re: feature proposal ...

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: eg(at)cybertec(dot)at, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: feature proposal ...
Date: 2005-09-21 14:01:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor wrote:
>>the problem is: COPY can write data returned by a SELECT statement to a
>>file. our idea is to implement precisely that.
>>
>>example:
>>
>>COPY TO file_name USING some_select_statement;
>

> I have run into plenty of cases where I wanted to dump part of a
> structure and this could be used for that, but I've always found that
> temporary tables were sufficient and equally SQL scriptable
>
> CREATE TEMP TABLE tab AS SELECT ...; COPY tab TO file_name;

Hi Rod,

TEMP TABLE are not suitable for my case. Using a temp table would
essentially mean that we had to store the data 3 times: Original data,
temp table + dump. Temp tables are only fine for small amounts of data
but we are talking about too much data here (my smallest export will
contain 15.000.000 records).

Best regards,

Hans

--