Indexing an array?

From: Silke Trissl <trissl(at)informatik(dot)hu-berlin(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Indexing an array?
Date: 2005-09-08 16:13:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have a problem with arrays in Postgres. I want to create a really
large array, lets say 3 billion characters long.

As far I could read from the documentation - this should be possible.
But my question is, is there a kind of index on the array.

Lets say, I want to get element 2,675,345,328. Does Postgres have to
load the entire array into memory and then run through the 2.6 billion
characters to return the one I want or does Postgres have an index - as
where to find this element on disk?

Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance

Silke Trißl