Re: initdb profiles

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb profiles
Date: 2005-09-08 02:24:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>I accept the "run from init.d" argument. So then, is there a case for
>>increasing the limits that initdb works with, to reflect the steep
>>rise we have seen in typically available memory at the low end?
>>

>There is a compromise that I think we cannot make. For production
>deployment, shared buffers are typically sized at about 10% to 25% of
>available phyiscal memory. I don't think we want to have a default
>installation of PostgreSQL that takes 10% or more of memory just like
>that. It just doesn't look good.

I have a single instance of apache running on this machine. It's not
doing anything, but even so it's consuming 20% of physical memory. By
contrast, my 3 postmasters are each consuming 0.5% of memory. All with
default settings. I don't think we are in any danger of looking bad for
being greedy. If anything we are in far greater danger of looking bad
from being far too conservative and paying a performance price for that.
There's nothing magical about the numbers we use.

>So the question whether initdb should by default consider up to 1000 or
>up to 4000 buffers is still worth discussion, but doesn't solve the
>tuning issue to a reasonable degree.

True, but that doesn't mean it's not worth doing anyway.

cheers

andrew