Re: Debug plpgSQL stored procedures

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Daniel Morgan <danielmorgan(at)verizon(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debug plpgSQL stored procedures
Date: 2005-09-05 20:59:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL provide a way to step-debug into plpgSQL stored procedures?

Afraid not. One of the commercial versions of PG offered it as a feature
IIRC, but I could be wrong, and if so it was some time ago.

> If yes, how do you do debug the stored procedures? Can it be done via
> any interface: jdbc, odbc, .net, etc.?
>
> If no, is there any plans to provide debugging support of plpgSQL stored
> procedures?

Not afaik - there's plenty of interest, but no-one with enough time and
knowledge I think.

> I do request, if you there is plans to add debugging support, make it
> easy enough for various interfaces to use it: jdbc, odbc, .net, etc...

That might be tricky as a general case, since I'm not sure all of them
offer a suitable out-of-band channel that could be used to send the
relevant control/debug data. You could always make it part of the SQL
interface, I suppose that would automatically give you cross-client support.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd