Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date: 2005-08-15 19:11:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm. I read this as
>
> Problem: not enough hackers to maintain our PL languages.
>
> Proposed solution: add more PL languages.
>
> Somehow this doesn't seem quite right.

Although I see your point, that actually wasn't my point. My point was
that I felt we need a good well respected (and dare I say *hot*) new
language that was truly OO and could be run as a trusted/untrusted pl
language.

> If pl/ruby is going to get into the core, it should be because of demand
> for it based on its own merits.

I agree.

> I don't think this has got anything to
> do with pl/python.

Not directly but indirectly it does because for me at least, what drove
my negotiations was that plPython is an OO language that I enjoy but
can't use the way I want. pl/Ruby is an OO language that i enjoy that I
*CAN* use the way I want.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake