Re: Authenticating using Windows XP login

From: Richard Sydney-Smith <richard(at)ibisau(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Authenticating using Windows XP login
Date: 2005-08-15 15:13:32
Lists: pgsql-general

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Thanks Magnus,<br>
I was specifically trying to avoid the "log into everything" approach.
Figured that if the user has logged into the computer that should be
sufficient to establish their identity.<br>
Magnus Hagander wrote:
cite="mid6BCB9D8A16AC4241919521715F4D8BCE6C78A6(at)algol(dot)sollentuna(dot)se"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Was looking to see if I could get pgAdmin to log into
postgresql 8.0.3 on Windows XP using the current windows
login information. Tried using the ident functionality on
pg_hba.conf to no avail.

Can someone post a link to a how to on this subject please?

Also can anyone tell me if there is an active project to
produce a "monitor" project that can sit in the task bar to
tell us how many users, cashe hits , start stop / reload etc.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
There is no such functionality available. The way to do is to put a
pgpass.conf file in the users directory that specifies a password to
use. See <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html</a>.

(Or you can enable trust authentication, but that will let anybody
connect as whatever user they chose, without a password and without any
verification whatsoever)

//Magnus

</pre>

Attachment Content-Type Size