creative work-arounds to obtain auto_explain's benefits for non-superuser

From: Jacque <jacqueedmund(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: creative work-arounds to obtain auto_explain's benefits for non-superuser
Date: 2020-02-13 21:46:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

I gotta admit.   The logging of auto_explain is an embarrassment of riches.

But most operational work is not done under the superuser role but one
with the lowest opportunity risk of compromise.    I'd like to be
embarrassed by an operator role.   Any Mcgeyors out there with ideas to
be thus embarrased?

Honestly, the only solution I've come up with is to duplicate every
non-superuser SQL object in a superuser-ONLY schema and have the super
user  perform the same SQL as the operator role (perhaps on alternate
days).   Then I could configure that superuser work with all the
auto_explain.* settings I could ever want.   As I write this, its clear
to me that an extension called "Rogue" is the perfect name that could
excise the essential abilities of an extension without obtaining full
superuser powers, eh... ur privaledges.   God bless my C if he deems to
grant me that mission.