Re: why is pg_upgrade's regression run so slow?

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: why is pg_upgrade's regression run so slow?
Date: 2024-08-19 12:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Andrew,

29.07.2024 13:54, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2024-07-29 Mo 4:00 AM, Alexander Lakhin wrote:
>>
>> And another interesting fact is that TEMP_CONFIG is apparently ignored by
>> `meson test regress/regress`. For example, with temp.config containing
>> invalid settings, `meson test pg_upgrade/002_pg_upgrade` fails, but
>> `meson test regress/regress` passes just fine.
>>

> Well, that last fact explains the discrepancy I originally complained about. How the heck did that happen? It looks
> like we just ignored its use in Makefile.global.in :-(

Please look at the attached patch (partially based on ideas from [1]) for
meson.build, that aligns it with `make` in regard to use of TEMP_CONFIG.

Maybe it could be implemented via a separate meson option, but that would
also require modifying at least the buildfarm client...

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAN55FZ304Kp%2B510-iU5-Nx6hh32ny9jgGn%2BOB5uqPExEMK1gQQ%40mail.gmail.com

Best regards,
Alexander

Attachment Content-Type Size
add-support-for-TEMP_CONFIG-to-meson.build.patch text/x-patch 709 bytes