Re: Table locking problems?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table locking problems?
Date: 2005-08-09 18:33:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Could these locking issues be related to the other changes I made? I'm
> really scared that this is related to choosing XFS, but I sure hope
> not. How should I go about troubleshooting the "problem" queries?
> They don't seem to be specific to a single table or single database.

My experience is that when this type of thing happens it is typically
specific queries that cause the problem. If you turn on statement
logging you can get the exact queries and debug from there.

Here are some things to look for:

Is it a large table (and thus large indexes) that it is updating?
Is the query using indexes?
Is the query modifying ALOT of rows?

Of course there is also the RTFM of are you analyzing and vacuuming?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake