Re: Going beyond sql

From: Laura Vance <vancel(at)winfreeacademy(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Going beyond sql
Date: 2005-08-05 14:03:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Jon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to run some scripts against a postgres database but has more
> than just standard SQL commands. I'd like to be able to use
> conditional statements (i.e. if .. .then ... ) and such. I had a look
> and can see that I could use pgplsql for this. However it seems that
> it must be part of a function. Is there any way of doing this without
> the function coating as these commands would be a once off?
>
> Jon.

Have you considered writing them in a programming language that connects
to the database? I have to write one-time database code at times, and
writing it in Perl is the most efficient way to do it for me. But then
I also wrote an extremely simple wrapper to the DBI / DBD::Pg module so
that I don't have to muck with the extra house keeping steps in my programs.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance