'select where' using multiple columns.

From: Rob Kirkbride <rob(at)rkcomputing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 'select where' using multiple columns.
Date: 2005-08-05 09:46:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I've googled around for this but can't see a decent way of doing this :

I've got a persons name which is being stored say in 3 columns :-
Title, Forename_1, Forename_2, Surname. I want to allow a search say for
'John Smith'. Problem is I can't just break it up into forename and
surname because I won't also know.
Is there a way to do something like a
'select * where forename_1,forename_2,surname like '%String%' ??

Thanks for any help. Apologies if its a FAQ.

Rob