Re: Vacuum with Views

From: "John J(dot) Urbaniak" <jjurban(at)attglobal(dot)net>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum with Views
Date: 2005-08-03 20:09:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Michael Fuhr wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:26:32PM -0400, John J. Urbaniak wrote:
>

>>Does the vacuum procedure mess up my views? It seems as if it does.
>>

>Could elaborate on how vacuum "seems to mess up" your views? What
>are you doing, what are you expecting to happen, and what actually
>does happen?

I am not sure. Somehow my views were destroyed. I have a Work Order
table, and a Resources table (many Resources to one Work Order). These
tables are joined by the Work Order number into a View, which I call
ActiveWOs. I have a print module that prints from this view.

The print module worked, then all of a sudden stopped working. It
caused a crash in my system which required me to reconnect to PGS, and
maybe also to shut down the server and restart it.

The only thing I remember doing to this was use a vacuum procedure in a
backup utility I am writing.

When I rebuilt the views (with a program), everything is back to normal
and the Work Orders print ok.

I am using Object Rexx to interface eCS with PGS.

I am trying to trace down the culprit.

Can I be sure that if I delete some records from some tables, then
vacuum the database, that views involving those tables are preserved?

John