Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] log archiving and copmpression

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] log archiving and copmpression
Date: 2005-07-24 15:00:46
Lists: buildfarm-members

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Sure, that's one possibility. We could put it in the config file. We
>> do that for make already, in case some people have a GNU make called
>> "gmake" instead of "make".
>>
>> I am just wary of requiring people to have more than they need to
>> build postgres itself - this would be an additional requirement.
>

> gzip and tar are fundamental unix utilities. I can not imagine any
> machine that would not have them sans win32.

Win32 does have them in the build environment we require. But certainly
I have seen commercial unices without gzip.

Also, there are differences between GNU tar and POSIX tar that I have
occasionally been bitten by. I think the way I am using it will avoid
such problems.

> Also anyone willing to host the build machine is going to be willing
> to install gzip if they need it.

agreed. That's where I'm headed. The default will be "tar -z -cf
runlogs.tgz *.log" and there will be a config file setting allowing this
to be overridden (.e.g. one might use "/usr/local/bin/gtar -cf - *.log |
/usr/local/bin/gzip > runlogs.tgz"

cheers

andrew