Re: difference between all RDBMSs

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Dhanashree <dhanashree_05(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: difference between all RDBMSs
Date: 2005-07-15 08:48:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dhanashree wrote:
> hello sir,
>
> i m an engineering student and i m looking out for differrences
> between oracle v/s sybase v/s sql v/s plsql v/s mysql with respect to
> the following points

Well, "sql" is a query language, and "plsql" is a procedural language,
so I'm guessing you mean MS-Sql Server and PostgreSQL.

A full comparison of the various databases would be a long report, and
is the sort of thing you pay thousands of pounds for. Also, this being a
PostgreSQL group, you'd expect more knowledge of that platform and even
some bias towards it.

You also don't mention what platform/application types/budget you are
looking at.

> 1. rdbms

They all are, for some definition of "RDBMS" - see
http://www.dbdebunk.com for why some people think the term is horribly
abused.

> 2. data independence

In what sense?

> 3. support of plsql

This is an Oracle language. PostgreSQL has something similar plpgsql.

> 4. integrity

Apart from some of "MySQL's gotchas" (google for the term), they should
all be equivalent, assuming you mean what I think you mean.

> 5. security

Depends what you mean.

> 6. use and application

Not sure what you mean here.

> 7. support to thirdparty products

Depends what products you are interested in.

> 8. functionability

Not sure what you mean here.

> 9. operatability

Not sure what you mean here.

> 10. reliability

You'd hope all would be reliable on good hardware.

Sorry if this isn't as much help as you'd like, but you'll need to give
more detail if you want a more detailed answer.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd