Storing data and indexes in different disks

From: Alvaro Nunes Melo <al_nunes(at)atua(dot)com(dot)br>
To: PostgreSQL - Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Storing data and indexes in different disks
Date: 2005-07-06 17:58:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I'm about to recommend a server model to a client, and I've read a in
many places (including in this list) that storing indexes in one disk
and the rest of the database in other disk might increase the overall
performance of the system in about 10%.

Making this only by a symbolic link is enough, or there are any futher
steps? We were thinking (for costs reasons) in use only 2 SCSI disks,
without any level of RAID. Is this enough to achieve performance
improvement mentioned above?

Best regards,
Alvaro