Re: Recommendations for configuring a 200 GB database

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recommendations for configuring a 200 GB database
Date: 2005-06-09 08:06:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kevin Grittner wrote:

> The manager of the DBA team is reluctant to change both the OS and the
> DBMS at the same time, so unless I can make a strong case for why it is
> important to run postgresql under Linux, we will be running this on
> Windows. Currently, there are two Java-based middle tier processes
> running on each central database server, one for the replication and one
> for the web. We expect to keep it that way, so the database needs to
> play well with these processes.

Well, there's a lot more experience running PG on various *nix systems
and a lot more help available. Also, I don't think performance on
Windows is as good as on Linux/*BSD yet.

Against switching OS is the fact that you presumably don't have the
skills in-house for it, and the hardware was chosen for Windows
compatibility/performance.

Speaking of which, what sort of hardware are we talking about?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd