changing encoding of a postgres database

From: Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon(at)thenilgiris(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: changing encoding of a postgres database
Date: 2007-11-05 11:55:58
Lists: pgsql-sql

hi,

I recently did a dist-upgrade from sarge to etch on a server with a
bunch of postgresql databases (7.4.9). Many of these had encoding set
as unicode and contained a lot of unicode data. After the dist-
upgrade, I find some of these databases are now encoded as latin1 -
and I cannot properly retrieve the unicode data or add now unicode
data. I tried pg_dump, dropdb, createdb with E=unicode and the
restore with psql -f, but the restoration barfs on the first
occurence of unicode data. Any solution?
--

regards
kg