Re: International Characters

From: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Jamie Deppeler <jamie(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: International Characters
Date: 2005-05-25 00:46:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Jamie Deppeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are having an issue importing international characters into
> postgresql 8.
>
> example Renée
>
> The error message we get is ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding
> "UNICODE": 0xe92044
>
> Any help would be greatfully recieved
>
> Jamie

Judging by the encoding of your email message, you're in the habit of
using iso-8859-1 (also known as latin1), rather than UTF-8. The error
message indicates that the database thinks you've asked it to use UTF-8,
and the latin1 characters you're supplying it are correctly identified
as not being legal UTF-8 characters.

Solutions are to either use UTF-8 as your encoding, or to tell the
database what encoding you really want to use, eg by

set client_encoding to latin1;

to set the encoding that a particular session is going to use.

Tim

Tim Allen tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au
Proximity Pty Ltd http://www.proximity.com.au/