Re: Image storage questions

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Guy Rouillier <guyr(at)masergy(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Image storage questions
Date: 2005-05-20 03:31:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>External storing is useful but I prefer LO because all my data (binary
>>and meta) is all in the same place for management.
>

> But if that's a big L in LO, performance and maintenance will be
> negatively affected, perhaps significantly.

How?

The DBMS will have to scan
> over all that large binary data to extract text or numeric data.

Ahhh now I see, are you expecting to be able to query your LOs? We only
use Large Objects as a storage mechanism.

And
> backups will copy that static binary data repeatedly.

Not unless you tell it to. If you don't pass the -b option you are not
going to end up backing up your large objects anyway.

For those
> reasons, if I'm storing very large objects, like images, that I know
> I'll never search or update, I prefer to manage them externally.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake