Re: New Contrib Build?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New Contrib Build?
Date: 2005-05-12 14:11:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
>

>>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>>>First, I *really* wish we'd call it something else. Contrib conveys
>>>"unsupported" to people.
>>>

>>And that's exactly what it is supposed to mean. We say, these modules
>>do not necessarily meet our standards with regard to code quality,
>>portability, user interfaces, internationalization, documentation, etc.
>>There is certainly a lot of good software in contrib and one could in
>>individual cases consider moving them out of there, but contrib is what
>>it is.
>>

>Which is as it should be, I think. Contrib is essentially the "not
>quite ready for prime time" area. If it were 100% up to speed then
>it'd be in the core backend already ... while if we required it to be
>100% in advance, then it'd not have gotten out there in the first place.
>
>The real issue seems to be that we have a disconnect between what is
>presently in contrib and what is on gborg or pgfoundry. There are
>certainly many contrib modules that are only there on seniority: if
>they were submitted today then they'd have gotten put on pgfoundry.
>But I'm not sure that there's much value in an enforced cleanup.

I think there probably is. Too much in there looks just abandoned. On
the flip side, I know we're dealing with the pg_autovacuum issue, but we
get lots of queries about crypto functions and text search because
people don't know they are in contrib.

BTW, I note that the TODO list has these delightfully non-specific items:

* Move some things from /contrib into main tree
* Move some /contrib modules out to their own project sites

cheers

andrew