[Pljava-dev] Re: Raise "NOTICE" with pljava

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Re: Raise "NOTICE" with pljava
Date: 2005-05-11 14:36:39
Lists: pljava-dev

Marek Lewczuk wrote:
> Hello,
> In plpgsql we can raise "notice" with command "RAISE NOTICE" - I don't
> see any build-in pljava methods to raise notice or I'm wrong ? I know
> that I can raise warning with standard SQLWarning object, but "warning"
> is not equal to "notice". Very simple solution is to write e.g.
> raiseNotice(varchar) method in plpgsql, but I would like to know if
> there is any native method.

Errors and messages are handled using the standard java.util.logging
facility. PL/Java comes with a special logger that sits on top of the
PostgreSQL error and message reporting system.

Logger log = Logger.getAnonymousLogger();
log.info("a message for level INFO");
log.warning("a message for level WARNING");
log.fine("a message for level DEBUG1");
log.finer("a message for level DEBUG2");
log.finest("a message for level DEBUG3");

Messages intended for level Error should not use the logger but instead
throw an SQLException.

The mapping is hardcoded at present. You can use the internal Backend
class directly although I cannot guarantee that it will be portable
across versions. It's possible to write:

Backend.log(ELogHandler.LOG_NOTICE, "a message for level NOTICE");

that is equivalient to RAISE NOTICE in PL/pgsql.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren