Re: inclusions WAS: Increased company involvement

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inclusions WAS: Increased company involvement
Date: 2005-05-04 17:21:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It's entirely likely that we haven't figured out how to make pgfoundry
> work yet. But figure it out we must, or the project-as-a-whole will die
> of its own weight. Not everything can be part of the core.

PgFoundry is coming along in its own right. I see three main problems
with it at current:

1. It looks like a separate project from PostgreSQL (website, name, etc...)

2. Stability and speed (which is currently being resolved)

3. Gborg still exists (which is going away once number 2 is resolved).

The traffic on pgFoundry is increasing as are the projects being
submitted. I don't think there is an issue of pgFoundry being a success
as much as an issue of it being a success as part of the PostgreSQL
project itself.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake