9.3.2 on Mac OS X: WAL Sender never exits on SIGUSR2 when pg_receivexlog is connected

From: Joel Hedden <jhedden(at)apple(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 9.3.2 on Mac OS X: WAL Sender never exits on SIGUSR2 when pg_receivexlog is connected
Date: 2014-02-05 05:44:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,
I've been testing PostgreSQL 9.3.2 on Mac OS X (10.9.1), the EnterpriseDB release as well as my own modified source, and I'm seeing an issue that didn't affect 9.2.4. I connect a pg_receivexlog instance and have "hot_standby" archiving enabled, with "archive_command" defined correctly. When the WAL Sender process receives a SIGUSR2 from the postmaster (or me), it fails to shut down and pg_receivexlog remains connected. Upon inspection, it looks like the test for "sentPtr == MyWalSnd->flush" is always false at walsender.c:1058 where the wal sender should be shutting down. Replication and archiving seem to be working otherwise. Killing pg_receivexlog allows for the WAL Sender to then terminate.

I'm curious if this is a known issue. I have not tried testing the 9.3 HEAD code yet.

Thanks,
-Joel Hedden