Re:allowing extensions to control planner behavior

From: "chungui(dot)wcg" <wcg2008zl(at)126(dot)com>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:allowing extensions to control planner behavior
Date: 2024-08-27 06:43:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2024-08-27 00:32:53, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>I'm somewhat expecting to be flamed to a well-done crisp for saying
>this, but I think we need better ways for extensions to control the
>behavior of PostgreSQL's query planner. I know of two major reasons
>why somebody might want to do this. First, you might want to do
>something like what pg_hint_plan does, where it essentially implements
>Oracle-style hints that can be either inline or stored in a side table
>and automatically applied to queries.[1] In addition to supporting
>Oracle-style hints, it also supports some other kinds of hints so that
>you can, for example, try to fix broken cardinality estimates. Second,
>you might want to convince the planner to keep producing the same kind
>of plan that it produced previously. I believe this is what Amazon's
>query plan management feature[2] does, although since it is closed
>source and I don't work at Amazon maybe it's actually implemented
>completely differently. Regardless of what Amazon did in this case,
>plan stability is a feature people want. Just trying to keep using the
>same plan data structure forever doesn't seem like a good strategy,
>because for example it would be fragile in the case of any DDL
>changes, like dropping and recreating an index, or dropping or adding
>a column. But you might want conceptually the same plan. Although it's
>not frequently admitted on this mailing list, unexpected plan changes
>are a frequent cause of sudden database outages, and wanting to
>prevent that is a legitimate thing for a user to try to do. Naturally,
>there is a risk that you might in so doing also prevent plan changes
>that would have dramatically improved performance, or stick with a
>plan long after you've outgrown it, but that doesn't stop people from
>wanting it, or other databases (or proprietary forks of this database)
>from offering it, and I don't think it should.
>
>We have some hooks right now that offer a few options in this area,
>but there are problems. The hook that I believe to be closest to the
>right thing is this one:
>
> /*
> * Allow a plugin to editorialize on the set of Paths for this base
> * relation. It could add new paths (such as CustomPaths) by calling
> * add_path(), or add_partial_path() if parallel aware. It could also
> * delete or modify paths added by the core code.
> */
> if (set_rel_pathlist_hook)
> (*set_rel_pathlist_hook) (root, rel, rti, rte);
>
>Unfortunately, the part about the hook having the freedom to delete
>paths isn't really true. Perhaps technically you can delete a path
>that you don't want to be chosen, but any paths that were dominated by
>the path you deleted have already been thrown away and it's too late
>to get them back. You can modify paths if you don't want to change
>their costs, but if you change their costs then you have the same
>problem: the contents of the pathlist at the time that you see it are
> [...]

I really admire this idea.
here is my confusion: Isn't the core of this idea whether to turn the planner into a framework? Personally, I think that under PostgreSQL's heap table storage, the optimizer might be better off focusing on optimizing the generation of execution plans. It’s possible that in some specific scenarios, developers might want to intervene in the generation of execution plans by extensions. I'm not sure if these scenarios usually occur when the storage structure is also extended by developers. If so, could existing solutions like "planner_hook" potentially solve the problem?