[Pljava-dev] IN/INOUT/OUT support in PL/JAVA

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] IN/INOUT/OUT support in PL/JAVA
Date: 2005-04-26 11:25:11
Lists: pljava-dev

Altaf Malik wrote:

> Hello,
> PL/JAVA 1.1 claims to support IN/INOUT and OUT parameters. Also it
> recommends to use PostgreSQL 8.0.2 as a backend database. However i
> could not find and support in the PostgreSQL8.0.2. Also there is no
> support in the 8.0.2 protocol parse message to indecate if the
> parameter is IN/OUT or INOUT. Am i missing something?

The PL/Java announcement claims "The source of this version will compile
with the CVS HEAD of the PostgreSQL source (at the time of release date
that is) and IN/INOUT/OUT parameters are fully functional.". Perhaps not
crystal clear, but what I meant to say with this was that the
IN/INOUT/OUT parameters that are functional in CVS HEAD of PostgreSQL
are also supported in PL/Java. There's no way you can get it to work
using PosgreSQL 8.0.x.

> Also if this is supported, how can i declare a function on the server
> side to accept OUT or IN/OUT parameters. and how i can call them from
> JDBC client.

You need to keep up with the bleeding edge development of PostgreSQL.
When you do, you can read all about this in the documentation for the
coming 8.1 version.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren