Re: Query question

From: Franco Bruno Borghesi <franco(at)akyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: Stéphane RIFF <stephane(dot)riff(at)cerene(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query question
Date: 2005-04-20 17:35:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

If you have a row every 15 seconds, the answer is quite easy:

SELECT
A1.date
FROM
activity A1
LEFT JOIN activity A2 ON (A2.date=A1.date-'15 secs'::interval)
WHERE
A1.state<>A2.state OR A2.state IS NULL
ORDER BY 1

Now if you don't have a row every 15 seconds, the answer is a bit more
complex (at least I couldn't think of an easier solution):

SELECT
min(TMP2.new_date)
FROM
(
SELECT
DISTINCT
TMP.new_date,
max(TMP.old_date) AS max_old_date
FROM
(
SELECT
A1.id AS new_id, A1.date AS new_date, A1.state AS new_state,
A2.id AS old_id, A2.date AS old_date, A2.state AS old_state
FROM
activity A1
LEFT JOIN activity A2 ON (A2.date<A1.date)
ORDER BY
A1.date, A2.date DESC
) AS TMP
WHERE
TMP.old_state<>TMP.new_state OR TMP.old_state IS NULL
GROUP BY
TMP.new_date
) TMP2
GROUP BY
TMP2.max_old_date
ORDER BY 1

I've tested both queries on postgreSQL 8 with the data you provided, and
they both work. Anyway try them with larger datasets before using them
in real life ;-)

Hope it helps.