[Pljava-dev] java.lang.SecurityException

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] java.lang.SecurityException
Date: 2005-03-29 06:59:40
Lists: pljava-dev

Filip Hrbek wrote:

> Thomas, I think there could be one reason to use explicit JDBC driver
> within PL/Java routine if you want to log something in an autonomous
> transaction (if your session crashes or is rolled back, logged items
> remain saved).

Yes, that would be a special case where it (perhaps) would make sense
although the performance hit caused by such logging would be
significant. I wouldn't recommend it. One major reason to move
functionality into functions is to get rid of the overhead of using a
remote process. Logging through a client jdbc driver will introduce that
overhead once again and every session that uses it will tie up two
backend processes. I'm not sure of what use case you are thinking of but
perhaps it can be solved using the standard java.util.log.Logger?
Entries written there ends up in the backend log. Formatted the right
way they should be easy to parse if need be.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren