Re: lower and unicode

From: Miroslav Šulc <miroslav(dot)sulc(at)startnet(dot)cz>
To: pginfo <pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: lower and unicode
Date: 2005-03-14 12:57:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

pginfo wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using --no-locale by init db.
> I readet that if I am using some locale the pg will work very slow.

I don't remember reading it will be very slow. I just remember that I've
read it will slow down some things (which I think is logical in this case).

> Have you noticed some speed penalty by using cs_CZ.utf8.

When using PostgreSQL, I need correct collating order for strings so I
have no other choice. I didn't do any speed tests but I think if you
need correct behaviour for your locale, you should use your locale. Just
try it and you will see the results. You can then make a decision for
yourself. I think you won't be the only one using locale for your
database ;-)

> regards,
> ivan.

Miroslav

Attachment Content-Type Size
miroslav.sulc.vcf text/x-vcard 387 bytes