IDENT Authentication

From: "David A(dot) Cobb" <superbiskit(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL General Discussion <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: IDENT Authentication
Date: 2005-03-05 00:59:36
Lists: pgsql-general

I've newly transitioned from Windoze to Debian Linux. And, of course,
I'm installing things left and right.

I had pgsql up and running, then I had to do a lot of tearing out and
reinstalling other stuff. Now, when I try to connect to psql I get:

psql: FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "superbiskit"

OK, so how do I convince the postmaster that I am myself? Or, how do I
disarm this form of authentication in favor of plain old password?

Thanks,

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.