Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] Small time bug

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] Small time bug
Date: 2005-02-26 14:35:30
Lists: buildfarm-members

Teodor Sigaev wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Teodor Sigaev said:
>>
>>> http://www.sigaev.ru/pics/pgbf.gif
>>>
>>> Alias 'corgi' tested HEAD branch 58 minutes in future :)
>>>

>> Your going to see that if the machine has an incorrect notion of the
>> current time. Best practice would be for all buidfarm members to run NTP
>> if possible.
>>

> Yes, it's running, but timezone is set to MSK (Moscow, Russia), not to
> GMT or UTC

The time zone should be irrelevant - buildfarm does not use any call
that relates to local time. NTP also does not care about timezones, btw.
However, if the system clock is set to return local time rather than
UTC, (more specifically if you don't get a correct UTC value from perl
-e 'print time,"\n";' ) then the system setup is surely broken.
Buildfarm uses time values in far too many places for me to think about
providing a workaround now - according to the perl docs I am entitled to
assume that these are all in seconds since the epoch.

cheers

andrew