Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: "Michael J(dot) Baars" <mjbaars1977(dot)pgsql(dot)hackers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4
Date: 2022-07-25 17:53:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/25/22 10:37 AM, Michael J. Baars wrote:

Reply to list also
Ccing list

> Use 'man more', manual pages are your friend.

I did, I just picked the wrong version. Got an the manual for ancient
version of more.

> "Normally, less doesn't quit until you type "q". You can make it
> quit as
> soon as it reaches the end of the file by using the -E option. However,
> many (but not all) people prefer to have less remain active until they
> explicitly quit, because they might wish to back up and look at earlier
> parts of the file again. "
>

> Scroll-back buffers do not work using less as the psql piping command.
> Try more, talk less, Adrian.

As far back as I can remember they have. When I work with Postgres I
live in psql. Not only can I scroll forward and backward I can use vim
shortcuts gg(start of buffer), G(end of file), /<search term>. j(cursor
down one line), k(up one line), etc.