Re: Help me recovering data

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Kouber Saparev <postgresql(at)saparev(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help me recovering data
Date: 2005-02-16 18:00:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Maybe
>
>(a) within 200,000 transactions of wrap, every transaction start
>delivers a WARNING message;
>
>(b) within 100,000 transactions, forced shutdown as above.

This seems sound enough, but if the DBA and/or SA can't be bothered
reading the docs where this topic features quite prominently, I suspect
the warning messages won't have much effect either. Basically ISTM we're
talking about people who *need* a clue howitzer.

This will possibly hit us more now we have the Windows port (or maybe
not, if the Windows servers are regularly rebooted ;-) )

cheers

andrew