Re: Slony uninstall info/warning

From: John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
Cc: postgres general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slony uninstall info/warning
Date: 2005-02-15 12:33:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton wrote:
> Hmm - not sure you could do this without a savepoint to catch the
> error.
> However, it might be possible to add track dependencies with the
> function (as with views). Then you'd have to issue a CASCADE to alter
> the table.

If you use Oracle and drop and recreate a table (or any other object)
referred to by a function or procedure, and then execute the
procedure/function, it will work fine. Oracle will figure out that it
needs recompiling (including dependent objects) and will do it prior to
execution.

You don't get bitten by caches or OID issues... :(

Maybe someone will get to this for 8.1?

John Sidney-Woollett

ps That having been said I still think postgres is very good, and we're
only using 7.4 at the moment!...