Why are no NEGATORS defined in the standard operators

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why are no NEGATORS defined in the standard operators
Date: 2016-06-11 08:00:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

while trying to bake my own fixedpoint datatype I noticed the definition for =(int8,int8) to be

CREATE OPERATOR =(
PROCEDURE = int8eq,
LEFTARG = int8,
RIGHTARG = int8,
COMMUTATOR = =,
RESTRICT = eqsel,
JOIN = eqjoinsel,
HASHES,
MERGES);

in PostgreSQL 9.5, but I wonder, why there is no NEGATOR clause defined here? According to the docs it should help to add

NEGATOR = <>

In query optimization. Is there some reason for it? Or is it a Bug in pgAdmin III that the negator is not shown?

Regards,
Daniel Migowski