Re: SELECT from multiple tables (not join though)

From: Madison Kelly <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
To: pgsql general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SELECT from multiple tables (not join though)
Date: 2005-01-10 19:43:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> SELECT file_name, 1 FROM file_info_1 WHERE file_parent_dir='/' UNION
> SELECT file_name, 2 FROM file_info_2 WHERE file_parent_dir='/' UNION
> SELECT file_name, 3 FROM file_info_3 WHERE file_parent_dir='/'
> ORDER BY file_name;
>
> The second column now shows which table it came from. No need to mess
> with adding fields, OIDs, etc...

Thank you Frank, Bruno and Derik,

That worked wonderfully! Derik's suggestion also worked perfectly,
too. I would imagine this method is slightly faster that his because I
am not really assigning anything? I guess I will need to run some
benchmarks. It is really nice to have options though.

Thank you all again! The amount of time you guys have saved me since
I joined is just phenominal!

Madison