Re: DBMS_File Equivalent?

From: Dunc <postgresql(at)dunc-it(dot)com>
To: PgSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DBMS_File Equivalent?
Date: 2005-01-06 20:10:20
Lists: pgsql-general

I wrote:

> Can a trigger, written in plperl, write to the OS when it fires? I
> want to write a trigger, in plperl, that builds an RSS feed file with
> each row that gets added to one of my tables. My database (8 rc 3, on
> Redhat 9) seems to choke (terminated on signal 11) each time I try to
> write to the OS - I would imagine because it's a major security threat
> to have the DB blindly writing to the filesystem. I guess what I
> really need is something like dbms_file in Oracle, where one
> predefines where the DB is allowed to read and write files. Can this
> be done with Postgres?
>
> Dunc

In thinking about this I'm wondering if I'm making this harder then it
needs to be. If I could write a function that builds, and returns the
RSS file that would accomplish what I want - assuming that I could call
the function from a webpage. Can Postgres functions be called from a
URL, similar to how PL/SQL files can be in Oracle?

Dunc