Re: Shared Sequences?

From: "C(dot) Duncan Hudson" <postgresql(at)dunc-it(dot)com>
To: PgSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shared Sequences?
Date: 2005-01-02 21:19:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Fuhr wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 10:44:16AM -0500, C. Duncan Hudson wrote:
>

>>Is there any way, with PG 8 rc 3, to share a sequence across databases -
>>assuming all databases are on the same machine?
>>

>As Andreas Kretschmer mentioned, you might be able to use dblink.
>
>Why do you want to share a sequence across databases? Could you
>use separate schemas in one database instead of separate databases?

Unfortunately, the app that I'm using doesn't yet support schemas -
otherwise I'd be doing that. I have 3 instances of the application
(each for a different business unit) and I don't want them generating
the same numbers for different things. I want the numbers, across all
business units, to be truly chronological - so I'd like them to share
the same sequence.

Dunc