Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3

From: Paul Tillotson <pntil(at)shentel(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, David Esposito <pgsql-general(at)esposito(dot)newnetco(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3
Date: 2004-12-06 22:50:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:02:13PM +1100, Neil Conway wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 19:37 -0500, Paul Tillotson wrote:
>>

>>>I seem to remember hearing that the memory limit on certain operations,
>>>such as sorts, is not "enforced" (may the hackers correct me if I am
>>>wrong); rather, the planner estimates how much a sort might take by
>>>looking at the statistics for a table.
>>>

>>AFAIK this is not the case.
>>

>AFAIK this is indeed the case with hashed aggregation, which uses the
>sort_mem (work_mem) parameter to control its operation, but for which it
>is not a hard limit.
>
>I concur however that multiple concurrent sorts may consume more memory
>than the limit specified for one sort. (Just last week I saw a server
>running with sort_mem set to 800 MB ... no wonder the server went belly
>up every day at 3.00am, exactly when a lot of reports were being
>generated)

Does postgres actually do multiple concurrent sorts within a single
backend? I didn't think it would ever do this, since each backend has
only a single thread. David says that he sees a particular process
start to consume very large amounts of memory, and from my understanding
of postgres, this must be one single query taking a lot of memory, not
"multiple concurrent sorts."

Paul Tillotson