[Pljava-dev] Re: FYI: pljava-1.0.0b5 on Mac OS X 10.3.6

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Re: FYI: pljava-1.0.0b5 on Mac OS X 10.3.6
Date: 2004-11-12 16:48:50
Lists: pljava-dev

p3consulting wrote:
> Now compiles and runs without problem (at least the Test)

Hey, that's great news! Thanks!

> # pljava jar's have to be installed in /Library/Java/Extensions
> # this step should be added to the make install process ?
> sudo cp ./build/*.jar /Library/Java/Extensions/

Hmm, is this really necessary? Wouldn't that make the jars globally
visible to the Java system classloader?

There are 3 categories of jar files:
1. The pljava.jar. This is the gut of the backend implementation and
should be reachable by defining the following in the postgresql.conf file:

custom_variable_classes = 'pljava'
pljava.classpath = '<absolut path to the pljava.jar>'

2. Jar files intended to be loaded using sqlj.install_jar. They can
reside anywhere as long as they are reachable using an URL. They should
never be reachable using the Java system class loader.

3. The deploy.jar. Only needed when pljava is installed or dropped. This
type of file needs to be visible as a client program only. Same goes for
the test.jar and the PostgreSQL client jdbc driver. They should never be
reachable from the backend.

> # if you have a previous installed version you have to drop sqlj schema
> first (this is missing in the doc)

Running the deployer with -reinstall or -uninstall should work. I
believe that's mentioned in the doc. If the -install was unsuccesfull,
the -uninstall will print a warning but it will still drop the schema.

> # then proceed to normal installation
> java org.postgresql.pljava.deploy.Deployer -install -database

I'm planning on shipping a shell script for this where the classpath
will be defined (must find the jdbc driver and the deploy.jar). As I
said, making them globally visible is not ideal.

I've made some fairly recent changes to the Makefile system in order to
use the new pgxs concept. It's in the CVS HEAD. Feel free to try it out.
It would be nice if any Max OS X problems could be found before it's
time for the next release.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren