Re: Group by and aggregates

From: Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Group by and aggregates
Date: 2004-11-04 17:34:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

Michael L. Hostbaek wrote:
> List,
>
> I've got a table looking something like this:
>
> my_table
> some_id int bla bla,
> partno varchar(100),
> status varchar(100),
> cmup numeric(14,2),
> qty int
>
> My SQL select statement will then group together partno, status and
> aggregate sum(qty) and max(cmup). This is all good and nice.
>
> My result will look something like this:
>
> partno status cmup qty
> test1 stock 10.00 15
> test1 incoming 15.00 71
> test2 incoming 12.00 10
>
> Now, I need the first line to say "15.00" in the cmup field. That is,
> stock and incoming are obviously not being grouped, but since it's the
> same partno I'd like somehow to show the highest cmup. Is there some
> black SQL voodoo that'll achieve this ?

You *CAN* sort by aggregates
e.g.

select partno, status, sum(cmup) as cmup, sum(qty) as qty
from my_table
group by partno, status
order by partno, sum(cmup) desc;

partno | status | cmup | qty
test1 | incoming | 29 | 71
test1 | stock | 10 | 15
test2 | incoming | 12 | 10

--
Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>