Re: pg_sequence_last_value() for unlogged sequences on standbys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_sequence_last_value() for unlogged sequences on standbys
Date: 2024-05-07 17:44:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Okay, so are we okay to back-patch something like v1? Or should we also
> return NULL for other sessions' temporary schemas on primaries? That would
> change the condition to something like

> char relpersist = seqrel->rd_rel->relpersistence;

> if (relpersist == RELPERSISTENCE_PERMANENT ||
> (relpersist == RELPERSISTENCE_UNLOGGED && !RecoveryInProgress()) ||
> !RELATION_IS_OTHER_TEMP(seqrel))
> {
> }

Should be AND'ing not OR'ing the !TEMP condition, no? Also I liked
your other formulation of the persistence check better.

> I personally think that would be fine to back-patch since pg_sequences
> already filters it out anyway.

+1 to include that, as it offers a defense if someone invokes this
function directly. In HEAD we could then rip out the test in the
view.

BTW, I think you also need something like

- int64 result;
+ int64 result = 0;

Your compiler may not complain about result being possibly
uninitialized, but IME others will.