Re: Failure of postgres_fdw because of TimeZone setting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Adnan Dautovic <daut(at)mailbox(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failure of postgres_fdw because of TimeZone setting
Date: 2024-04-10 20:31:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 4/10/24 12:38, Adnan Dautovic wrote:
>> By the way, the row count of pg_timezone_names is 385, but I do
>> not know how that compares to a more standard installation.

> On my instance of Postgres 16.2, 1196.

You're probably using a build with --with-system-tzdata pointing
at a system tzdata tree that includes leap-second-aware zones.
These tend to have duplicative entries like "America/New_York"
and "posix/America/New_York". (There's also a subtree like
"right/America/New_York", but we reject those because we don't
do leap seconds.) The real number of distinct zones in a
standard tzdata file set these days is a shade under 600.