Re: VACUUM FULL on 24/7 server

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM FULL on 24/7 server
Date: 2004-10-04 14:50:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>
>> Since you are running autovacuum I doubt the doing vacuumdb -a -z is 3
>> times a day buying you much. It's not a bad idea to do once in a while.
>

> The reason is that I have few tables of about 5 milion with ~ 10000
> insert per
> day. Even with setting -v 300 -V 0.1 this means these tables will be
> analyzed
> each 50 days. So I have to force it.

I understand, but 10,000 new rows increate your table size only 0.2%, so
it won't significantly effect anything. Also, if they really are just
inserts then vacuum is totally unnecessary. I agree that for these
situations pg_autovacuum should be supplemented by vacuumdb -a -z every
once in a while, all I was pointing out was that 3 times a day is
probably excessive.

Matthew