[Pljava-dev] Posmaster start and stop automatically

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Posmaster start and stop automatically
Date: 2004-09-13 20:50:08
Lists: pljava-dev

Rodrigo,

> Excuse-me Thomas, when i refer classpath isn't a postgresql
pljava.classpath, but classpath Windows XP.

I understand that. What I'm trying to say is that the postmaster process
(your service) doesn't need the Windows XP classpath. The classpath for
the service should be set using the postgresql.conf and it should only
appoint the pljava.jar.

> In the postgresql.conf, I use
>
> dynamic_library_path = 'E:\\PostgreSQL80_Beta2\\data'
> custom_variable_classes = pljava
> #pljava.classpath = 'E:\\PostgreSQL80_Beta2\\data\\pljava.jar'
>

> Note that pljava.classpath is commented, when i discomment this
line, an error bellow ocurr and postmaster doesn't
> start.
>
> "The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.0-beta2-dev3 service on local
computer started and then stopped. Some
> services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example,
the Performance Logs and Alerts Services".

Are you 100% sure this happens when you uncomment that exact line? The
reason I ask is that the line is just read and stored in a placeholder
variable and not in any way used when the postmaster starts! Unless you
have a syntax error or have misspelled "pljava" or "pljava.classpath",
there's no way this can cause the postmaster to fail. The example above
looks very OK though. Do you have a stray character at the end of the
line or something?

The PL/Java module is not loaded until you actually call the first Java
function (install_jar in this case) and that's when the pljava.classpath
is examined for the first time. An error at that time will not cause the
service to fail, it will just be reported in your current session and
rollback the transaction.

Just to prove my point; I copied the lines above into my own
postgresql.conf and started my postmaster without any problems, with or
without the comment. PL/Java won't work with for me using your setting
of course, but there's no problem starting the postmaster.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren