[Pljava-dev] Error installing examples - Unrecognized JINI version x10004

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Error installing examples - Unrecognized JINI version x10004
Date: 2004-09-13 17:58:21
Lists: pljava-dev

Rodrigo,
Add the following lines to your postgresql.conf:

custom_variable_classes = pljava
pljava.classpath = 'E:\\PostgreSQL80_Beta2\\data\\pljava.jar'

(please not the double '\\' everywhere. The '\' is treated as an escape
character by the parser that reads postrgresql.conf).

The postgresql.jar and deploy.jar should *not* be included here since
this is the classpath seen by the backend. The pljava.jar contains the
classes needed by the backend only.

The deploy.jar is a client program and it in turn needs postgresql.jar
(the client JDBC driver). The pljava.jar should *not* be in your
classpath for the client programs. It's important to make this
distinction. I.e. one classpath for the backend and another for client
programs.

Regarding the JNI version error:
I checked if there was any difference between Java 1.4 version defines
but there isn't. This leads me to believe that the PATH you claim you
have is not the PATH that is visible to the backend process, i.e. it's
not the path in effect when the postmaster is started. The backend
process somehow finds an older JRE (1.3 perhaps?) and attempts to load it.

Please note that the PATH containing the JRE bin and JRE bin/client
directories must be visible to the backend process, i.e. it must be in
effect when the postmaster is started. Havin the JRE directories in your
path is normally not needed when running client programs as long as you
can find java.exe.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren