Re: Tempory table is not getting created inside Function in postgres.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nikhil raj <nikhilraj474(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tempory table is not getting created inside Function in postgres.
Date: 2023-02-27 20:04:31
Lists: pgsql-general

nikhil raj <nikhilraj474(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> This is the Function I have created successfully but while executing it
> throughs an error temp table doesn't exist.

You won't be able to do it like that in a SQL-language function, because
the whole function body is parsed and parse-analyzed in one go. So the
later query referencing ROSTER_TABLE fails because it's parsed before
the CREATE TABLE executes. (Improving that has been on the to-do list
for a couple of decades, so don't hold your breath...) I suggest putting
the whole thing, not just part of it, into plpgsql.