Re: patch to fix configure(.in) on openbsd wrt/ krb5/com_err and readline linking

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Bertrang <janus(at)errornet(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch to fix configure(.in) on openbsd wrt/ krb5/com_err and readline linking
Date: 2009-06-10 13:19:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Simon Bertrang<janus(at)errornet(dot)de> wrote:

> the following patch does two things on OpenBSD:

Thank you.

>  1) Add missing libs to the krb5/com_err check that are required.
>    We have this in our ports tree since 7.4.3 but i can't find any
>    report about it, so here it finally is.

This seems really weird. Firstly, doesn't OpenBSD use ELF? Shouldn't
the library pull in the indirectly needed libraries automatically? But
more to the point, why on *earth* would com_err depend on -lssl and
-lcrypto? com_err is just a standard error handling library. Why
would it fail to link without ssl and crypto libraries?!?!

If it is necessary, putting in an "if portname = openbsd" is defeating
the whole purpose of using autoconf here. Surely something like

   AC_SEARCH_LIBS(com_err, [krb5 'krb5 -lcrypto -ldes -lasn1 -lroken'
'com_err' 'com_err -lssl -lcrypto'], [],

would be better since it would detect this situation regardless of
what OS it's on.

--
Gregory Stark
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf